Wednesday, February 3, 2010

First ramblings

The idea behind the first writing exercise in Natalie Goldberg's classic book Writing Down the Bones is simple. Don't stop. Don't edit. Don't second-guess. Just write. Here's what Goldberg says:


First thoughts have tremendous energy. It is the way the mind first flashes on something. The internal cursor usually squelches them, so we live in the realm of the second and third thoughts, thought on thought, twice and three times removed from the direct connection of the first, fresh flash.


That read, I began jotting. I kept in mind Goldberg's bullet points at the beginning of the chapter:
  1. Keep your hand moving
  2. Don't cross out
  3. Don't worry about spelling, punctuation, or grammar
  4. Lose control
  5. Don't think. Don't get logical
  6. Go for the jugular!

Here's what was produced:

Today I spoke lucidly, eloquently--with a voice that didn't sound cracked or husky. Lately, it's been like that. Not trying--maybe that's it. Raw need to say a thing and it's born. I don't know, and that's alright. I don't need to know. But sometimes, I need to say. That's ok. Is that okay?

1 comment:

  1. I am SO EXCITED about this blog!! :D And I really like what you came up with :) Thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...