Friday, December 24, 2010

The Gift of the Magi

Every year I am reminded, early or late in December, of a Christmas story read aloud to me and my siblings when we were kids. It's a short story called "The Gift of the Magi," written by O. Henry. This story is a classic. It's a well written, beautiful portrait of humanity. The most distinctive thing about this story, to me, is that it is a breath of fresh air when it comes to the rampant materialism that too often characterizes this season. I plan on making it a tradition to read it aloud to my own children, someday. You can read the story in full,  HERE. It's a short read, and very worth it! Let me know what you think, or tell me about stories that have been important to you during this Christmas season. Most importantly--

Have yourselves a very merry Christmas! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...