Monday, February 13, 2012

Author Spotlight: Karoline Barrett

Author, Karoline Barrett

Hey everybody, today my guest is Karoline Barrett. She recently finished her very first novel and is scouting around for an agent for her book, The Art of Being Rebekkah. I recently had the opportunity to ask Karoline a few questions about the process of writing her first, full length novel. You can read her responses below. Please welcome author, Karoline Barrett to Legs!



I understand that you’ve recently finished your debut novel. Tell us a few of the specifics about your book.

The Art of Being Rebekkah is about a Jewish woman who discovers her husband is a theif and a liar. Her life becomes more complicated when she falls for a catholic police detective and her adoptive mother reveals a surprise about her biological mother. 

What made you decide you wanted to write a novel?

I've always loved reading and writing. I took the Long Ridge Writer's Group "Breaking into Print" and "Novel Writing" courseS and knew I had to tell this story.

I think every writer has a different “ritual” when it comes to preparing to write. What were a few of the very first things you did to begin?

Outline, outline, outline! Of course, having chocolate handy also helps!

What would you say was the most challenging part about writing your novel?

Remembering what my character did and when; not repeating the same word over and over. For example, I cut over 200 instances o the word "just." Also, making sure hair color, eye color, and names stayed the same!

Where did you begin searching for a literary agent?

I mostly used Agent Query to compile my list. I also did other internet searches.

What books have been most influential for you, as a writer?

Oh wow! Too many to mention, although I tend not to read when I write, because I don't want to pick up another writer's style subconsciously.

If you could choose any author to be your mentor, who would you choose?

Hmmm....I'd have to say Ann B. Ross, author of the hysterically funny "Miss Julia" series!

What would you say to aspiring novelists?

If you have a good book, it will get published. I try and convince myself of this everyday! It doesn't always work!

I hope you enjoyed hearing from Karoline today. If what she shared with us today was interesting or helpful to you, I know Karoline would love to hear from you. Leave her a comment below! You can learn more about Karoline on her website by clicking HERE. She's also a member of SheWrites, and can be contacted via Facebook and Twitter

3 comments:

  1. Nice interview. Enjoyed it, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always great to hear about other writer's creative processes! Best of luck with getting your book published, Karoline!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it that you are now doing first-time author interviews! It is so helpful to have their perspective.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...