Sunday, January 23, 2011

Here is Where I Write about Reading Instead of Writing

I have a problem. I buy books about writing--instead of writing.

Does anybody else do this? For me, its a combination of fear and procrastination. A way to feel like I'm doing something about this decision to write more fiction. The books themselves are phenomenal, but Lord! I need to make good on this novel I've promised myself! I've started it. I've made a few notes approaching an outline. I've done some other stuff-- like embelishing a couple short stories. But that's about it. At the rate I'm going, I'll finish this damn book in, oh, about nine years. I don't make myself write consistently. Instead I pour over Writer's Digest magazine or Natalie Goldberg's book, or this recent addition to my growing writer's library:

Words Overflown by Stars: creative writing instruction and insight from the Vermont College of Fine Arts M.F.A program. Edited by David Jauss


I've sait it before, but I'm gonna say it again: I'm the kind of writer that needs a regiment. I need structured time slots for writing. I need deadlines. I love to hate that kind of thing, but I can't avoid the reality that it's necessary.

That said, does anybody want to write me up a syllabus, while I'm busy with my books? C'mon. Don't all volunteer at once!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...