Thursday, January 31, 2013

Quilt-a-Thon!

I think ya'll should be grateful that I don't post every day. Or even every week. I tend to post stuff when I have a great idea, and, unfortunately, those don't happen everyday. Or, if they do, they're probably not the sort of good idea you'd be terribly interested in hearing about. (...OH! So if I attach the snappi onto the diaper THIS way, poop won't seep through the legholes as easily! Now...why are all the diaper covers still in the washer?...) Trust me on this one.

ANYWAY! I have a pretty good idea that isn't actually my idea (thank you internets), but I'm sharing it anyway. I want to have a Quilt-off! Online! With all you crafty people! The basic idea is to make a quilt in stages, one stage per week. I'll post a weekly thingy about each new stage. Something like this: week one--cut out your fabric pieces, week two--piece the quilt together, etc. etc. It's great for people who have a lot on their plate and don't really have time to sit down for hours at a time and craft. Small stages, people. Little tasks that you'll have a whole week to work on. So whadyathink? Wanna do it? No? That's okay, I'll do it myself--and post about it anyway!

This post officially kicks off WEEK ONE!

Here is the quilt we'll try to make! I found it on Pinterest (where else?)

Herringbone Quilt.

Mine is going to be really ugly, because all I have to work with is scraps. Oh, and it'll be smallish. Like a baby quilt. It'll still be a lot of fun, though. You can make yours as large as you like, of course. Just add squares.

Things you'll need this week: 

  • Fabric. In at least two coordinating colors. About 1 1/2 yds each for a crib-sized quilt. (you'll need another 2 1/2 yards + a little extra for the backing and binding at a later stage. 5 1/2 yds total)
  • Sewing machine
  • Thread, in a coordinating color
  • Rotary cutter (or sewing scissors)


Speaking of squares, stage one is about squares. I mean triangles. I mean squares.

Cutting up your pieces. 

For my little quilt,  I'm cutting out 5x5" squares, and then cutting those squares diagonally, into triangles. My quilt is just a baby quilt measuring 45x60", so I'm cutting out 93 5x5" squares.






Okay! Commence to cutting! I highly recommend a rotary cutter, because cutting with plain ol' scissors (like I did) is quite tedious.

Next week: piecing the quilt top!

1 comment:

  1. For the record, I love your fabric choices, and don't think they're ugly at all :) Looking forward to seeing the finished piece! I want to do this at some point, but don't have a machine and am not up to doing it by hand, so...yah.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...