Friday, August 31, 2012

Quilting | Future Projects

So as many of you know, I'm kind of addicted to quilting. It happened a couple months ago, when I randomly decided, without much intention, that I'd like to make this fun little quilt. Well that was just the beginning, apparently. I've made two other quilts since then. And have given them away as gifts to friends who are, like me, expecting babies. Now that I've gifted them, I can show you all!

 

















Aaaand, I didn't take any pictures of the other one. Oops. The one above, however, turned out quite nicely. I even got brave and free-motion quilted the entire thing on my little sewing machine, without a darning foot, which I'm told is the must-have gadget if one wants to do brave things like sew squiggly lines all over something. My friend Brooke got this quilt and loves it! I hope her son, Aurelio, due a week before my son, loves it too. :)

I've been playing with the idea of making a bigger quilt. One that I can spread over my queen sized bed. I've been browsing different patterns and experimenting  with differently shaped pieces of fabric. And--to the chagrin of my hubby, checking out fabric collections online. If I'm gonna make something substantial and something that I'm gonna have to look at every day, I might as well get it right. I kind of dislike the idea of purchasing a collection of coordinating fabrics, because one of the funnest things about doing this stuff, for me, is coordinating the fabrics myself. But I've shopped around, nonetheless, and it's given me some fun ideas for colors to work with. The other day, I came across a place called The Fat Quarter Shop and ohmylanta--! There are about fifty bundles I would purchase in an instant if I had boucoup bucks! But one bundle caught my particular attention, because I'd already decided to work with purples and blues and yellows.


Beautiful, yes?! I want to buy this particular bundle, but if I don't end up going that route, I may try to get a bunch of  fabrics that are super similiar in color/patterns at JoAnn's or elsewhere.

5 comments:

  1. So much fun planning a new quilt. But Fyi, if you make a queen size with fat quarters you are most likely going to need a few bundles, not just one!
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun planning a new quilt. But Fyi, if you make a queen size with fat quarters you are most likely going to need a few bundles, not just one!
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! I love it that you are quilting (although I misread the title of the post the first time and thought it said : QUITTING Future Projects, lol). I've always thought it would be cool to join a quilting bee ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, Lauren, I totally read that the same way and did a double-take! :P

    Lou, I LOVE your quilts, and your daring with free-quilting. You totally inspire me, and when I finally get my own machine I will have to give it a go. I want to make a nice big quilt for Serenity's twin size bed, and unfortunately for my pocket-book, I found a kit I absolutely LOVE for something like $130 (which, I suppose, is comparative to if I were to buy all that fabric and thread and batting from a quilt shop, but still). And I want to make a coverlet for our king size bed, but I think I am going to make more of a comforter and less of a quilt for that project. Anyway, can't wait to try! :)

    Fun trivia about my childhood I don't think I've ever shared with you - my family went to a Mennonite church for a few years around my middle school years, and every week we'd have a potluck lunch, and after the food had been cleared away the men would all hang out in the back of the room and talk, the kids would all go outside and play, and the women and older girls would gather around several huge quilting racks and quilt by hand! It was pretty neat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Alena, I had no idea! Those Mennonites...fun times! ;) I haven't got around to doing anything about this bigger quilt I want to make. In a way I feel like I sort of AM quitting future projects. I've been so tired and am getting so...large...that I haven't been up to the task. Also, quilting is expensive, darn it. Oh well. Someday. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...